A peaceful waterfront located beside Sungai Sibu is a bustling fishing village which majority of the villager is fisherman. At the morning and evenings you will see boats going out and return back from fishing. Sungai Sibu opens to the south china sea just around 3km away. The jetty also connects important water routes to Pulau Satang (a beautiful island where you can see sea turtle laying eggs) and Kuching Wetlands National Park (a Protected Estuarine Landscape).
Type : Waterfront with Jetty, Fishing Village
Address : Kampung Telaga Air, 93050 Kuching, Sarawak
Latitude : 1.6761217
Longitude : 110.2095199
Things to do :
- Walking by the waterfront, enjoy the scenery
- Visit local food stalls and taste the local flavours
- Family Entertainment at the waterfront playground
- Photography of Sunset and fishing boats
- Nice food at the restaurants beside the waterfront
- See fishermen unload their catches of the day
- Purchase local products from the nearby markets
- Enjoy the River View of Sungai Sibu on the Telaga Air Esplanade.
Around 40 minutes drive from Kuching City, this is the place not to be miss if you are already visited the nearby attraction at Matang area.
- Matang Wildlife Centre (A place to see protected wildlife in Sarawak – Orangutans and Hornbills)
- Kubah National Park
- Jantayu Strawberry Farm (A low land strawberry farm)
- VH Green Nature Park (On the way from Kuching City via Jalan Aksess FAC)
The esplanade of Telaga Air is a landmark not to be missed. It is a platform beside the river with a huge canopy wit local motifs. People love to be here to feel the sea breeze blowing from nearby sea , enjoy the waves hitting the river banks, and spectating rows and rows of fishing boats harbor beside the jetty.
People love to have a evening jog at the waterfront. There will be food stalls beside the waterfront selling local food.
Other than the waterfront, there is allot of stalls beside the waterfront selling local food and produce.
There is a food court just opposite of the esplanade where more local food being sold. The seafood here is also sold at acceptable prices. They are fresh too.
Mangroves are common trees growing beside the river front. Watch how the waves pass by the strong standing trees. These mangroves are known to help preventing river bank erosion and forms a good supports for harboring fishing boats.
From time to time you can see speed boats and fishing boats cruising on the river.
We had our lunch at one of the famous seafood restaurant at D’White Station Restaurant of Telaga Air. They offer delicious plater with local seafood of prawns, crabs and corn in spicy sauce. Do try their specialty seafood plater here.
Kampung Telaga Air waterfront and esplanade can be your next short trip destination. Suggestion time of visit is 1 – 2 hours where you can have a good walk around the waterfront.