The Rainforest World Music Festival 2019 is finally here. It is an annual three-day music festival (this year would be their 22nd chapter) which currently held from 12nd July to 14th July at Sarawak Cultural Village. Come here and enjoy the beats from traditional music, to world fusion and contemporary world music. What more, you can learn the Unique and diverse culture of Sarawak, touch and feel their unique instruments, taste their unique cultural delights and involve in workshops and activities.
Name: The 22th Anniversary Rainforest World Music Festival 2019 (RWMF 2019)
Date: 12nd July 2019 (Friday) to 14th July 2019 (sunday)
Venue: Sarawak Cultural Village, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia (Around 35km north of Kuching)
Organizer: Sarawak Tourism Board
Official Web App: https://rwmf.app/
Official Website: https://rwmf.net/
Latitude : 1.7492316
Longitude : 110.31646019999994
This will be our second time visiting Rainforest World Music Festival. You can see our previous visits in year 2017 : https://360tour.asia/rainforest-world-music-festival-2017-sarawak-cultural-village-kuching/
Introduction to Rainforest World Music Festival
The Rainforest World Music Festival is a unique stage where various renowned world musicians came and meet in Sarawak Cultural Village and share their culture and performances. The prime focus is nevertheless indigenous cultural exchange and exposure through exhibition and music performance.
With fast pace of modernization of various parts of the world, these diverse and unique local culture and music still stand strong within the river of change and became identity of the national cultural heritage.
This is their 22nd Rainforest World Music Festival. However the first ever musical festival was celebrated more than 100 years ago on year 1890, where it was celebrated in few miles away from current Sarawak Cultural Village in Damai. The current annual episodes of RWMF is a continuation of the annual festival since year 1998.
Where do the performers came from ? The answer to this question is – from all around the world. This year, Invited performers came from Sarawak locally, other provinces of Malaysia, and country near and far, from Vietnam, Morocco, Scotland, Kalimantan, Canary Islands, Chile, Madagascar, Russia, Ireland, Bhutan, Spain, France, Chile, Jamaica, Estonia,Mongolia, New Zealand, Mauritius, and Japan. It is surely the music festival for the world.
Why you should come to Rainforest World Music Festival ? During the festival, the whole Sarawak Cultural Village is a grand stage with various dedicated station with different performance, demonstration, hands-on workshops, cultural merchandise and ornaments display and sales, cultural food and drinks tasting, and many more. There is also station for kids to involve in fun family activities. It is a stage for young and old, to explore, to experience, to learn.
This event is also unique as it happens in Sarawak Cultural Village, where you are surround by the greeneries and nature. Enjoy the morning breeze, beautiful mountains and white sandy beach.
Nevertheless, Sarawak Cultural Village located at Damai Peninsular, which is a prime tourist destination around 40 minutes of driving from Kuching City. Around the Living Museum, there are three beach resorts, a 18-hole golf course, a boutique hideaway and a few homestay operators for your accommodation needs, not to forget the Gunung (Mt.) Santubong National Park is also part of the complex.
How to get to RWMF 2019
The stage is at Sarawak Cultural Village, which is at around 35km north of Kuching. To get there you can either use your own car, or public bus transport, or taxi and e-hailing vehicles.
Due to the limited car park available at Sarawak Cultural Village, and expected to have more than 20,000 visitors in the three day event, visitors is advice to car pool to come. The parking space along the road to Damai Golf Club is available for public to park their cars is located at Damai Golf Club Junction (Santubong Resort T-Junction).
After that you need to take the official van shuttle to get to Sarawak Cultural Village (One way RM7.00 for adults, RM4.00 for child 7-12 years old), or you can walk for nearly 1.5km if you wish to save some bucks. The van shuttle operates from 10.00AM to 9.00PM for route to Sarawak Cultural Village, and 10.00AM to 1.30AM back to Santubong Resort T-Junction.
If you wish to travel by shuttle bus (by Bus Asia) from Kuching City, there is several counters and pickup-drop off points available.
- The Hills (counter, pick up, drop off)
- Riverside Majestic Hotel (counter, pick up, drop off)
- Harbour View Hotel (counter)
- Plaza Merdeka Shopping Mall (counter, pick up, drop off)
- MBKS Recreation Park Bus stop opposite Lok Thian Restaurant (pick up, drop off)
- Penview Hotel Bus Stop (pick up)
- Grand Dormani Hotel (drop off)
The bus shuttle starts hourly from the first pick up point at the hill on: 9:00AM, 10:00AM, 11:00AM, 12:00PM, 1:00PM, 2:00PM, 3:00PM, 4:00PM, 5:00PM, 6:00PM, 7:00PM, 8:00PM (last).
During the return from Sarawak Cultural Village to Kuching City, the bus shuttle will be at Damai Central Car Park opposite the Sarawak Cultural Village. The shuttle will leave on: 12:30PM, 1:30PM, 2:30PM, 3:30PM, 4:30PM, 5:30PM (last for the evening), 9:00PM, 10:30PM, 11:30PM, 12:30AM, 1:00AM, 1:30AM, 2:00AM, 2:30AM (last).
Highlights of RWMF
- Jul 12 2019 14:00 Ha Noi Duo (Vietnam) at Theatre Stage, Mit Ieng Podi Bidayuh Miring Ritual (STAAK BISOMU) at Indigenous Stage
- Jul 12 2019 15:15 Mehdi Nassouli (Morocco) at Theatre Stage
- Jul 12 2019 16:30 Talisk (Scotland) at Theatre Stage
- Jul 12 2019 17:00 Alunan Keroncong (Sarawak) at Big Tent
- Jul 12 2019 19:00 Barrock Ethnicity Bank (Sarawak) at Big Tent
- Jul 12 2019 19:30 Iban Miring Ceremony (Sarawak) at Jungle Stage
- Jul 12 2019 19:33 Spirit of The Hornbill (Kalimantan) at Jungle Stage
- Jul 12 2019 20:00 Olga Cerpay Mestisay (Canary Islands) at Tree Stage
- Jul 12 2019 20:45 Ballet Folcloric De Chile Bafochi (Rapa Nui / Chile) at Jungle Stage
- Jul 12 2019 21:00 Rajery (Madagascar) at Tree Stage
- Jul 12 2019 21:50 Otava Yo (Russia) at Jungle Stage
- Jul 12 2019 22:50 Suk Bine’ (Sarawak) at Tree Stage
- Jul 12 2019 23:15 Kila (Ireland) at Jungle Stage
- Jul 13 2019 12:50 The Kingdomcity Drum Team (Sarawak) at Big Tent
- Jul 13 2019 14:00 Marco Polo by Duplessy & The Violins of the World ft. Guo Gan at Theatre Stage , Orang Ulu Songs Solo Sape (Mathew Ngau – Warisan Sape) at Indigenous Stage
- Jul 13 2019 15:15 Druk Folk Musician (Bhutan) at Theatre Stage
- Jul 13 2019 16:30 Ana Alcaide (Spain) at Theatre Stage
- Jul 13 2019 17:00 Pinanak Sentah (Sarawak) at Big Tent
- Jul 13 2019 18:00 Sanggalang (Sarawak) at Big Tent
- Jul 13 2019 19:00 Bamboo Woods (Sabah) at Big Tent
- Jul 13 2019 19:30 Kemada (Sarawak) at Jungle Stage
- Jul 13 2019 19:40 San Salvador (France) at Tree Stage
- Jul 13 2019 20:30 Ballet Folcloric De Chile Bafochi (Rapa Nui / Chile) at Jungle Stage
- Jul 13 2019 20:50 Darmas (Malaysia) at Tree Stage
- Jul 13 2019 21:30 Macka B (UK / Jamaica) at Jungle Stage
- Jul 13 2019 22:30 Trad.Attack! (Estonia) at Tree Stage
- Jul 13 2019 23:30 La Chiva Gantiva at Jungle Stage
- Jul 14 2019 14:00 Sedaa (Iran, Mongolia) at Theatre Stage, Srotuong (Samson – Suk Binie’) at Indigenous Stage
- Jul 14 2019 15:15 Wai (New Zealand) at Theatre Stage
- Jul 14 2019 16:30 Mauravann (Mauritius) at Theatre Stage
- Jul 14 2019 18:00 Warisian Sape (Sarawak) at Big Tent
- Jul 14 2019 19:00 Raban Kenyalang (Sarawak) at Big Tent
- Jul 14 2019 19:30 Kila & Oki (Ireland, Japan) at Jungle Stage
- Jul 14 2019 20:30 Crazy Horse by Duplessy & The Violins of the World ft. Guo Gan (China, France, Mongolia, Sweden) at Tree Stage
- Jul 14 2019 21:15 At Adau (Sarawak) at Jungle Stage
- Jul 14 2019 22:15 Mehdi Nassouli (Morocco) at Tree Stage
- Jul 14 2019 22:30 Tabanka (Cape Verde) at Jungle Stage
- Jul 14 2019 23:30 Finale at Jungle Stage
Tutorial Sessions :
- Sape Tutorials Daily 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 at Rainforest Music House
- Percussion Tutorial Jul 12 2019 14:30 and Jul 14 2019 16:30 at Chinese Farm House
There is also few attractive mini sessions and lifestyle sessions for you to join and interact with the renowned artist. Join with the rest of the visitors in Zumba, Yoga, Self Defense, Street Dance and many more. More details can be found in the RWMF official website.
Do walk around and visits some of the booths surrounding the big lake. Some of them are the sponsor of the event and may offer attractive products and information.
At the Theater Stage
Theater stage is located near the main entrance. After you had pass the RWMF merchandise booth and the Sarawak Cultural Village merchandise house, going straight on will lead you to a cafeteria and Theater Stage.
At usual days, theater stage is a place where traditional dance and musical performance is staged. However during the Rainforest World Music Festival, it is a place for vocal and musical performance for the invited international renowned artist.
We went on day two of RWMF2019, where performance by Duplessy & The Violins of the World, Druk Folk Musician, and Ana Alcaide is staged here.
Marco Polo by Duplessy & The Violins of the World ft. Guo Gan
Duplessy & The Violins of the World is a group forms by mainly for main musician from China, France, Mongolia and Sweden. They are famous for their two released album – the first album entitled “Marco Polo” in year 2012 and the second album “Crazy Horse” in year 2016. They are also known as brothers of strings.
We are in luck to see them performing live on stage. Their up beat performance with just four type of string instruments was just amazing.
Druk Folk Musician (Bhutan)
Bhutan ‘s unique culture has remained largely intact because of its isolation from the rest of the world. Perched on the eastern edge of the Himalayas, their traditions are deeply steeped in Buddhism and the colours of the music echo their dramatic landscapes that range from subtropical plains to steep mountains and valleys.
Druk Folk Musician are 3 acclaimed singers and instrumentalists. Sonam Dorji is a master drangyen (the Bhutanist lute) player. Ugyen Panday has been awarded “Best Singer of Bhutan” for his distinct voice. And Novin Kharel is a multi-instrumentalist with immense skill in improvisation and his demand for authenticity. Together, they present Bhutan folk songs and bring a touch of their gross national happiness to the Rainforest World Music Festival.
Ana Alcaide (Spain)
Ana Alcaide, from Toledo researches ancient traditions and cultures. She brings to the Rainforest World Music Festival her new LEYENDA set, which was on the Top 10 World Music Charts Europe, the Transglobal World Music Charts and getting also a 5 Star Review from Songlines Magazine’s Top Of the World.
She was a pioneer in popularising the nyckelharpa to Spain and her sensitive and visionary arrangements and compositions have melded medieval Spanish melodies with new Mediterranean evocative colours. She is also the Artistic Director of the Toledo World Music Festival.
At the Rainforest World Craft Bazaar
Rainforest World Craft Bazaar is located at the Malay townhouse, Top-spinning hut and the Melanau tallhouse. The craft bazaar sells amazing handicraft, beads work, woven art, batik painting and many diffrent ornaments and musical instruments. Purchasing these local craft work helps to boost the local economy.
Most important – Have Fun and Go Green
Rainforest World Music Festival is a very pack event with performances runing simultaneously in all diffrent stage within the Sarawak Cultural Village. At times you may attend one and missed another one. So choose wisely and make decision that you won’t regret. Remember that all performances of the three days are all diffrent.
The most important while coming to such event is to have fun and learn at the same time. Support the artist and musician, as they are the key to the diverse culture in the world.
As the sun is setting, more and more people crowd the place. We take a early day off and let others party till midnight.
This year Rainforest World Music Festival is going Green. The Sarawak Tourism Board is dedicated to make RWMF an Environmentally Sustainable and Responsible Event. They have place various recycling station around the venue. They had gone paperless for tickets with utilizing the convinience of e-mails and phone QR code. They promote awareness of reducing one use plastic bottles by providing free water refilling station to fill up your own tumbler.
Before signing off, remember to take photo with the #UrBins (Urban + Bins). It is a series of colorful recycling bins that is painted by group of local artist in creating awareness of recycling.