The kuching Christmas Parade is back again this year with a title “God’s Love” ! It had been delayed for two years due to pandemic, and finally is back again where Christians from different churches in Kuching will be on board the parade to spread the Good News around the city.
As usual the 4 KM route starts from MBKS Jubilee Ground to Kuching Waterfront then back to the MBKS Jubilee Ground. This year there are more than five thousand participant for the Christmas Parade despite heavy downpour during the parade.
Event : Kuching City Annual Christmas Parade 2022
Theme : God’s Love
Date : 3rd December 2022 (Saturday)
Assembly Time : 6.00 pm at MBKS Jubilee Ground
Organized by : Association of Churches in Sarawak and Kuching Ministers’ Fellowship
Main Host Church : Methodist Church SCAC
Activities : Praise and Worship, Caroling, Parade, Christmas Floats, Musical Band march, distribution of gifts.
The Full event Video for Kuching City Parade 2022
We have visited several past Kuching City Christmas Parade.
- Kuching Christmas Parade 2019 “All I want for Christmas is Jesus”
- Kuching Christmas Parade 2018 “Good News of Great Joy”
- Kuching Christmas Parade 2017 “Hope in Jesus Christ”
Kuching Christmas Parade 2022 Route
The 4KM parade route takes everyone along various churches, landmarks and major tourist attractions in Downtown Kuching. There are also many hotels and inns along the route with many international visitors.
Along the route
- Starting from Jubilee Sports Ground towards Jalan Padungan
- Jalan Padungan Roundabout (HSBC Roundabout)
- White Cat statue of Kuching City
- Kuching Chinatown Gate
- Jalan Padungan Old Shophouses
- Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman (Waterfront)
- Tun Jugah Shopping Center
- Cats statue in front of Grand Margherita
- Riverside Majestic & Riverside Shopping Complex
- Hilton Kuching
- Lebuh Temple (Temple Street)
- Tua Pek Kong Temple Kuching
- Harbour View Hotel Kuching
- Lebuh Wayang (Wayang Street)
- Star Cineplex
- Jalan Tabuan
- SMK St Mary
- Borneo Hotel
- Jalan Ban Hock
- Grand Continental Hotel Kuching
- Lot 10 Boutique Hotel
- Lorong Central Timur 3
- Back to Jubilee Sports Ground car park
- Roman Catholic Church : Padungan
- Seventh-Day Adventist Church / Salvation Army / Sarawak Baptist Church : Tun Jugah / Top Spot
- BEM (SIB) Church : Reverside Shopping Mall
- Methodist Church Kuching East & English District : Kuching Hilton / Waterfront
- Anglican Church : Borneo Hotel Kuching
- Methodist Church Kuching West District / Methodist SIAC : Ban Hock Road
- SECA / Blessed Church : MBKS Flat
- Roman Catholic Church
- Anglican Church
- Methodist Church SCAC
- Methodist Church SIAC
- BEM (SIB) Church
- Seventh Day Adventist Church
- The Salvation Army
- Sarawak Baptist Church
- Blessed Church
- Sarawak Grace Assembly Kuching
- Hope Church Kuching
- Calvary Family Church
- Good News Fellowship
- City Harvest Church
- Fellowship of Evangelical Students (FES) from universities
Major event like this will cause expected traffic detour and blockage. It is important to plan ahead in where to park your vehicles.
The parking available for parade participant are located in front of the Jubilee Sports Ground, car park around the MBKS building, car park beside the MBKS swimming pool & Sarawak Hockey Stadium, and SRK Lumba Kuda’s car park. Alternatively there are also parking beside the Kuching Chinatown Gate, behind Prudential Assurance Malaysia (Kuching) and in front of HSBC Bank.
As for visitors, there are many available beside shoplots and shopping malls. However do ensure that your vehicle do not obstruct the traffic and park responsibly.
Alternatively you can choose to use public transport and e-hailing transport.
Latitude : 1.5503850675605675
Longitude : 110.36105632781982
Things to bring
Always be prepared before you go for any major event. Things to bring before going for a parade :
- Ample amount of water, keep well hydrated.
- Comfortable and acceptable attire .
- Portable battery banks for your mobile devices and portable USB fans.
- Umbrella – It is a monsoon season in November-December with chances of heavy downpour.
- White Candle with DIY wind shield with clear plastic bottle .
- Light sticks, balloons, banner, display cards, musical instrument etc.
- Christmas gift to be given away during parade.
Preparation of the Kuching Christmas Parade 2022
People participating in the parade arrived in the stadium as early as 4pm. Everyone is eager to join this year event as it is already delayed for two years due to pandemic.
Year 2022 is mostly a wet year with anticipating of daily rains throughout the year. Hence without hesitation, everyone is ready with their rain coats and umbrella. The air is cool in the evening with occasional cool breeze. The sky is cloudy with high chances of heavy rainfall.
Brass bands from various boys and girls brigades are ready with their uniform and instruments. There are several chapter of brigades are involve in the parade.
By 5.30pm, the stadium is slowly packed up with crowds and everyone is anxiously waiting for the event to start. There is allocated location for members of different churches to gather in the running track of the stadium.
The rain did come early at around 6pm. Despite the rain, everyone are still heated up and eager to go on with the Christmas Parade.
The Kuching Christmas Parade 2022 Assembly Service
Before the official starting of the Kuching City Christmas Parade, there is assembly service where pastor from different churches will gather on the stage for the service.
The whole service is run in multiple different language, in keeping with the unity in diversity spirit of Sarawak. Language used including English, Mandarin, Bahasa Malaysia, and Iban.
Download the Assemble Service 2022 Slides : Assembly Service 2022 slides.pdf
The Agenda of the Assembly Service includes :
- Apostle’s Creed
- Singing Hymn : O Come O Ye Faithful
- Opening Prayer by Rev Witty Kendu , Anglican Church
- Scripture Reading 1 : Deuteronomy 7:7-11 (in English) by Bro. Douglas Aseng , The Salvation Army
- Scripture Reading 2 : Psalms 103:8-18 (in Iban) by Rev Elizabeth Enjut , Methodist SIAC
- Scripture Reading 3 : John 3:16-17 (in English) by Bro. Tommy Ong , Sarawak Baptist Church
- Scripture Reading 4 : Romans 8:32-39 (in Bahasa Malaysia) by Pr Chan Tin Loi , Seventh-Day Adventist Church
- Pray for Kuching & Sarawak by Pr. Abel Vincent , Sarawak Ecumenical Christian Association
- Scripture Reading 5 : 1 John 4:7-12 (in Chinese) by Geoff David Koh , Sarawak Blessed Church
- Scripture Reading 6 : Revelation 1:4-8 (in Bahasa Malaysia) by Pr. Pelakung Samun , BEM Church
- Pray for Malaysia by Pr. Greman Ujang Slat , Sarawak Ecumenical Christian Association
- Singing Hymn : Silent Night
- Benediction by Archbishop Simon Poh , Roman Catholic Church
- Commencement of Parade and Offering Collection
The Kuching Christmas Parade 2022
After the Assembly Service, the Kuching Christmas Parade 2022 officially being commenced. The parade is lead by leaders from various churches, with the parade banner and brass band team in front. Despite the heavy rain, the event still goes on as planned.
The rain slowly progress into heavy downpour halfway through the parade journey. However it never slow down the parade flow. The happiness is still in the air while visitors continue to cheers while witness the parade event.
The Kuching Christmas Parade goes on till 10pm until everyone complete the journey. It is a challenging journey due to the heavy downpour but in the end everyone are still happy with the parade.
The Parade is a yearly event in Kuching City. If you had missed this event, you can always come back and witness the parade of the following year. We welcome you with a warm heart and hope to see you in the next event.